You’ve probably read that Matt Mullenweg announced a delay to the WP 2.2 release, which was previously due in 4 days, on your Dashboard already, but it still is worth blogging. As I am creating my new theme—now at a rough estimate of 75% completion after five [half] days of work—I think it would be better to delay the release of AjaLapus.com 4.0 as well.
New features from WP 2.2, including core Widgets support,
integrated tagging system and Atom 1.0 standard syndication feeds, would most probably make me revise my theme a lot more since I am planning to use them anyway. And since I still haven’t tried using nightlies, nor do I have time and patience to install AMP again on either my Linux or Windows installations to test and develop on a nightly, it’d probably be best if I would wait the couple of weeks out for the new WordPress to be released.
So far, I have the following completion percentages for the templates of the upcoming theme before I delay working on it:
- Header, Footer, and Single post templates and styles at 100%
- Homepage, Quasi-static Pages, and Sidebar templates and styles at about 90%
- Archives [including Tag, Date, Category and Search pages], 404 page, and Page-specific templates at 0%
And, btw, I’ve already consulted Shari and Lexie about the theme and they seem to like it so far. That was a relief since Shari immediately turned down the first one I’ve made. Well, not that it all depends on them—I really just like positive feedback.
For those who were browsing yesterday late at night and have been  Forbidden from viewing any page, that was most probably be me doing some tests. Ugh. I really need a local LAMP/WAMP installation.
And, about the issue of ad serving using Google AdSense, I decided to stick to HTML-compatible XHTML Strict since I’ve encountered a FAQ from Google stating that AdSense code within an
<iframe> would lead to PSAs or less targeted ads [probably the same case an
<object> tag would produce] even though that method was approved by Google.
So, there you have it—just lame updates. I’m getting busy at school since I’m taking up my Math 321 this summer vacation. I still do hope I’d have more fun before the
- ^ As Dougal Campbell pointed out, it was pushed to 2.3 milestone—I wasn’t reading the wp-hackers list as well.
- ^ If you can’t remember, it’s because of this little problem.
Everyone has to start somewhere, right? I know I started markup programming since I was 14 years old. Now, I think I have the skills and knowledge to make money from it. Well, actually, I knew months back that I could start making money with my work but I really do not know where to start. One major thing that stopped me was my lack of skills in image manipulation and design â€” I just do my XHTML really good. And since I thought possible customers were more into design than markup, I stopped a while until I have the skills â€” the skills that I still do not have that much even right now.
Then I have encountered XHTMLized. There I saw an opportunity that I could just make the XHTML out of the customers’ designs that they can’t turn into beautiful markup. I have done this for a volunteer work with TomWeb on the UST Nursing website and with my friends’ blogs, and now I know I could do this for a fee.
XHTMLized starts their service at $149 â€” that is PhP7600 on the average! Wow! I can not make that money even with my 4 months’ allowance! Now I am definitely starting my career!
Well, I still won’t stop volunteer work for my school [TomWeb] and for my college [ESC WebTeam] and for my close friends, but for other people that need me: I am going to think about how much it would cost first. 🙂
I know I’ve done free service a lot in the past few years but please consider that I am in dire need of finances right now. And, if I am not going to start making this as a career, I may not be able to start making this as one in the future. I need support for this from you [my friends and readers], maybe you could refer me to anyone who wants to build a business out of a website [those are usually the ones willing to pay for good design and markup] or someone who has just a lot of money and wants a good XHTML+CSS design.
Here are my specifications about my work that may be of interest to those who are thinking of availing my services:
- I use XHTML 1.0 Strict, unless the design restricts me to do so then I’d use the Transitional DTD.
- I use XHTML purely for content, using CSS for design.
- I would accept designs in almost any image format [JPEG, GIF, PNG, preferably PSD for Adobe Photoshop].
- I would also accept designs in HTML or XHTML that the owner wants to be cleaned up for better Search Engine Optimization and accessibility [for text-only browsers and screen readers].
- I would make the XHTML look similar [there is no same in rendering between different browsers] in major browsers â€” Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Opera, Mozilla Suite, Netscape Browser; and if possible, Camino and Safari.
I do not intend to compete with those people at XHTMLized. I just want to start my career. Besides, I’ve linked them twice already â€” my thank-you’s for giving me the idea.
Here are my details if ever you wanted to contact me privately; or just post a comment below if you don’t mind telling it in public.
â€” Aja Lorenzo Lapus, freelance programmer.
Time goes by so fast and I really feel very left behind. So many things cram up my schedule; I don’t know what to think anymore. Valentine’s day was simple â€” so many restrictions made it somehow that way. With all those planning that fell apart, I just want to tell my baby I’m so sorry. Engineering Week kept me busy with projects. And â€” my most hated part â€” minor subjects kept making me feel they’re so important.
Here’s almost everything:
- I have to finish an acceptance speech for Eng 107A for tomorrow â€” memorized and complementary to one of my classmate’s presentation speech that have arrived in my inbox just about now.
- I have to research and draft a concept paper about Mga Epekto ng mga Pelikulang Sci-Fi sa mga Hinaharap na Pagbabago sa Intelektwal na Aspeto ng mga Manonood for Fil 2 for Saturday.
- I have to pass my Masterpiece for Phl 5 for Tuesday.
- I have to pass two Final Laboratory Reports for Phys 205L for Wednesday; and
- I have to wake up so early on Sunday to run and “donate” money for CWTS‘s Run for Humanity.
Yes, that’s too many. Err … At least for me.
Ok, I actually had in mind a lot of things to talk about. But, I’m afraid my mind is jumbled up again right now. I think I have to start on that speech already. Until the next update. Wish me luck on everything, thanks! 🙂
BTW, I have made my JoHari Window just for fun. Anyone of you who’s got nothing to do unlike me: Please, fill it out. Thank you!